It’s another week of random news from all corners as we try and piece together what’s happening in the tech world. The short answer is . . . not a whole lot.
Uber may just get a break from Google after all, but their former engineer might be going to prison. Microsoft has hatched a genius way to get businesses to give it more money, while Apple has come up with a really dumb way to bribe students. And that “hacker” that your aunt sent the warning about (over Facebook no less) isn’t real. Like that was a surprise, right?
- Waymo drops some patent claims against Uber
- … but not against its former employee
- The web may get a lot less “stock-photoey”
- New ransomware threatens to send your private info to everyone you know
- Jayden K Smith hacker a hoax
- Valve dropped the ban hammer
- Facebook planning new Oculus headset
- Tech companies battling government gag order
- Apple giving students free Beats headphones
- Verizon customer’s data exposed
- Windows 365 may be the best idea Microsoft ever had
- Amazon competing with Geek Squad
- Amazon coming out with premium version of the Echo