With Gamescom 2019 in full swing, we’re starting to get more information about Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics’ upcoming Marvel’s Avengers video game.
To begin, PlayStation released nearly 19 minutes of gameplay footage. (Check it out above and let us know what you think.)
Next, IGN is reporting that they were able to go hands-on with the tutorial portion of the game that had previously only been shown behind closed doors. Of course, it was only the tutorial, so there were a lot of cinematic sections and introduction to each of the characters’ combat styles and abilities. Here are a few things that we learned:
- Each character has three attacks: light and heavy melee attacks that can be combined with their respective idiosyncratic abilities and a special, devastating attack which has a cool-down.
- The missions are either single-player or multiplayer with single-player missions making up the majority of the story. We don’t know much about multiplayer missions at this point, but we do know that both mission types will have a difficulty scale.
- Marvel’s Avengers will have a lot of cosmetic costumes. With 80 years of Marvel history to draw on, there will be no shortage of opportunities to buy a new look from the marketplace. It is nice to know though that these are purely cosmetic and will not affect the gameplay.
- Gear that does affect gameplay is a big focus in the game. Gear is earned in each mission, with more rare gear coming from more difficult missions. It will be separated into the usual common, uncommon, rare, and epic categories.
- Gear is character-specific. It can change the way that your hero plays, depending on what you equip and it works hand in hand with characters skill trees. As you level up, more customization options will become available.
While we now know a lot more than we did previously, there is still a lot to learn. It looks as though we’ll have to be patient and see what May 15, 2020, brings when Marvel’s Avengers is released.